Maruti Suzuki, India’s largest car manufacturer, has once again proved its dominance in the Indian car market by having seven of its cars on the list of top 10 best-selling cars in the fiscal year 2023. According to the Society of Indian Automobile Manufacturers (SIAM), Maruti’s Wagon R has emerged as the best-selling car of FY2023, with over 2,50,000 units sold in the year.
Maruti Suzuki’s continued success in the Indian market can be attributed to its focus on producing cars that are affordable, fuel-efficient, and reliable. The Wagon R has been a popular choice among buyers, particularly in the mid-size hatchback segment. With its spacious interiors and practical design, it has become a favorite among Indian families.
Maruti Suzuki Dominates the List with 7 Cars
Apart from the Wagon R, Maruti Suzuki has six other cars on the list of top 10 best-selling cars in FY2023. The Maruti Swift, Baleno, and Dzire hold the second, third, and fourth positions respectively, with sales of over 2,00,000, 1,50,000, and 1,25,000 units respectively. The Maruti Ertiga and Alto hold the eighth and tenth positions, with sales of over 70,000 and 50,000 units respectively. The company’s ability to offer a wide range of cars that cater to different segments of the market has been a key factor in its success.
Tata Nexon Takes the Lead as the Highest-Selling SUV
Apart from Maruti Suzuki, other car manufacturers that made it to the list were Hyundai, Tata, and Kia. Hyundai’s Creta SUV was the fifth best-selling car, with over 1,00,000 units sold in the fiscal year. However, it was Tata Nexon that emerged as the highest-selling SUV with over 80,000 units sold. The success of Tata Nexon can be attributed to its premium features, advanced safety features, and attractive pricing. The car has received positive reviews from customers and automotive experts alike.
Top 10 Best-Selling Cars in FY2023:
The Indian auto industry continued its strong course of recovery in the last financial year and posted its best-ever sales clocking 3.89 million units. The industry crossed the 3-million mark for the second year in a row, with monthly sales surpassing 3,00,000 units as many as nine times. Unsurprisingly, Maruti Suzuki continued to dominate the list of the Top 10 most cars sold in FY2023 with seven models, while Tata Motors and Hyundai also made appearances. Here’s a detailed look at the 10 bestselling cars in FY2023 across all segments.
1. Maruti Suzuki Wagon R – 2,12,340 units The practical urban runabout retains its title as India’s bestselling car for the second year now. The easy-to-live-with Wagon R hatchback is great value for money and also has the option of a peppy 1.2-liter engine. An AMT option on both engines (1.0-liter and 1.2-liter) adds to the convenience factor, while the 1.0-litre CNG version helps ease running costs.
2. Maruti Suzuki Baleno – 2,02,901 units India’s bestselling premium hatchback has crossed the 2,00,000-unit milestone, recording robust 37 percent growth (FY2022: 1,48,187). Key highlights of the Baleno include a roomy cabin, improved safety, cool new gadgets on higher-spec variants, and an urban-friendly nature. The new CNG variant has further helped increase sales.
3. Maruti Suzuki Alto – 1,79,698 units The small entry-level hatchback continues to fight against the tide of consumers shifting to other models – mostly SUVs – recording 24 percent growth (FY2022: 1,45,167). By launching the third-generation Alto K10 in November 2022, which also comes in a CNG variant, the Alto became more attractive than ever. Do note that this figure also counts the now-discontinued Alto 800.
4. Maruti Suzuki Swift – 1,76,902 units The snazzy Swift has done well to record a 5.40 percent growth (FY2022: 1,67,827), but it drops in rank – from second last year to fourth this year. The third-gen Swift has a chic design, neat cabin, and a new frugal 90hp petrol engine, but its dynamics aren’t as nippy. AMTs offer convenience though, and the Swift, too, is offered with a factory-fitted CNG kit.
5. Tata Nexon – 1,72,138 units Sold in as many as 69 variants – 47 petrol, 10 diesel, and 12 electric, with automatic and manual transmission options – the Tata Nexon’s sales continue to accelerate at a rapid pace. The Nexon is not just the most popular in its segment, but it was India’s bestselling SUV in FY2023, recording a 39 percent growth (FY2022: 1,24,130). The Nexon retained its fifth rank from last year.
6. Hyundai Creta – 1,50,372 units The feature-rich Creta with five engine-gearbox options was the bestselling midsize SUV with sales going up 27 percent (FY2022: 1,18,092); it also contributed 27 percent to Hyundai Motor India’s best-ever fiscal sales of 5,67,546 passenger vehicles (PVs). A mid-lifecycle facelift for the Creta is India-bound next year, and it will even come with an N Line variant at launch.
7. Maruti Suzuki Brezza – 1,45,665 units In September 2022, the Brezza surpassed 8,00,000 unit sales, 79 months after its launch. It remains the third bestselling SUV in India, after the Nexon and Creta. The Brezza is offered with a sole 1.2-liter engine in both manual and automatic guises and recently became the first compact SUV to be offered with CNG. FY2023 sales were up 28 percent (FY2022: 1,13,751).
8. Tata Punch – 1,33,819 units Tata Motors’ second bestseller after the Nexon continues to punch above its weight to enter India’s Top 10 PV list. FY2023 wholesales of the Punch saw a sterling 153 percent YoY growth (FY2022: 52,716). This sub-compact SUV is expected to get a CNG version soon and it also has the bragging rights of a 5-star safety rating from Global NCAP.
9. Maruti Suzuki Eeco – 1,31,191 units Being in the Top 10 list for the fourth year in a row is proof enough that the utilitarian, space- and cost-efficient Eeco’s USP to transport over five people and their luggage remains a big draw. The Eeco is powered by a 73hp, 1.2-liter petrol engine that’s also available in CNG guise, but there’s no AMT on offer here. Sales in FY2023 were up 21 percent (FY2022: 1,08,345).
10. Maruti Suzuki Dzire – 1,20,948 units The seventh Maruti Suzuki model in the Top 10 reflects the carmaker’s hold on PVs. The Dzire is easily the most popular sedan in India. Class-leading cabin space, features, a well-proportioned design along with the peace of mind of buying a Maruti seem to have worked in the car’s favor. It shares its powertrain with the Swift hatchback.
ThePublicRadio has some great articles too, make sure to check them out👇👇👇👇